It is not a good idea to drive with a failing transmission; not only is it dangerous, but the longer you wait, the more money you will spend to repair both the transmission and the damage it caused to your car! So we are here to tell you some of the red flags that indicate a failing transmission.
- Overheating: Overheating can cause some major damage to your transmission; what causes overheating? Well of course the heat causes overheating. But the major cause of overheating is stop and go traffic and heavy towing; be sure to check the fluid levels, and if it’s leaking, be sure to change it!
- Difficulty Shifting: If you’re having difficulty shifting, or the gears aren’t smooth, there is most likely a problem with your transmission. Make sure to have the transmission fluid checked, as well as the shift cables and clutch linkage.
- Slip Issues: If the gears are acting up, or you’re having trouble accelerating or coasting, you might be experiencing a transmission slip problem. This is dangerous, and if you’re experiencing any of these problems, you should have us inspect your BMW immediately!
- Clutch Issues: If you can’t shift gears because the clutch is still spinning with the engine, you have what is known as “Dragging Clutch”. If you hear a weird grinding noise when you’re changing gears, you may have an issue with the clutch, and should have it checked out immediately.
- Clunking & Other Strange Noises: If you hear any type of clunking or whiny noise in your automatic or manual BMW, it usually indicates a major issue with your car.
So when determining the strength of your transmission, keep your eyes, nose and ears on any unique smells and sounds! If you have even the slightest inclination that your transmission might be failing, please bring your car into Boston Motor Werks as soon as possible! Please feel free to give us a call at 617-489-0291!